Position Purpose and Objectives:
The library seeks an innovative and highly motivated candidate to work in the Adult Library and Eastridge Branch. This is a customer service position with a heavy emphasis on serving adults in all capacities. The desired candidate must be able to communicate effectively with others, connect adults to resources that reflect their interests, and conduct programming in line with community goals and interests. This includes, but is not limited to digital/technology assistance, circulation, reader’s advisory, programming, collection development and more.
Essential Job Functions:
- General circulation duties: shelving materials, checking materials in and out, collection upkeep, registering users,
- Assist with library programming for adults
- Build relationships with adults in our community to better support their needs
- Work independently and as a team when needed
- Cross-train in Children’s Library to fill in as needed
- Performs other duties as assigned by management
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Experience working with adults, programming experience a plus
- Proficient experience working with computers, smartphones, tablets, and other devices (Microsoft, Android, iOS, )
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to understand and execute oral and written instructions Supervisory Responsibility: None
Working Conditions: Most often in a library setting, however, ability to attend meetings or outreach events at schools, churches, parks, and other places required. Evenings and Saturdays required. Access to a car required.
Physical Demands: Stand at least 8 hours a day, as well as bending, sitting, stooping, walking, and lifting at least 25 pounds.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree preferred. Minimum of at least two years relevant library experience preferred. All new hires are subject to drug testing, criminal background and youth clearance checks. Wilkinsburg residency required.