JOB TITLE: ASSISTANT DIRECTOR
REPORTS TO: LIBRARY DIRECTOR
LAST REVISED: FEBRUARY 2020
POSITION PURPOSE AND OBJECTIVES: This is a confidential position that requires performing professional library work assisting the Director of the Wilkinsburg Public Library. Must be completely familiar with the daily operation of the library, and be able to plan, organize and carry out all assignments quickly and accurately. Considerable judgment is required in establishing work procedures and performing duties. Work in this position may involve matters of a confidential nature. Although the work is supervised, this position requires the exercise of sound judgment, personal initiative and minimal supervision.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: (Illustrative only)
- Keeps inventory and collection current by constantly evaluating collection demand and currency.
- Supervises, trains and supports full and part-time staff and volunteers
- Maintains a clean, comfortable, friendly, organized and safe work environment
- Catalogs all new materials, whether purchased or gifted and prepares them for processing
- Seeks out and applies for grants with the assistance of the Director.
- Occasionally serves on ACLA/eiNetwork committees as invited. May attend ACLA regularly scheduled meetings in the absence of the Library Director.
- Works closely with the Director to maintain a proper balance of materials and programs for patrons of all ages
- Develops and maintains effective community relations
- Develops and maintains effective and engaging social media presence
- General knowledge of the collective bargaining agreement as it relates to employees under supervision by the position
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED: Ability to manage multiple priorities; ability to follow complex oral and written instructions; ability to assume the responsibilities of the office in the absence of a supervisor; ability to exercise good judgment in handling patron requests and complaints; ability to act with tact and courtesy; ability to establish and maintain a collaborative relationship with Library Director, Library Board, co-workers and the general public. Must be proficient in current Microsoft Office software, including but not limited to Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; must maintain records through electronic and paper systems; ability to use any current or other future computer platform for documentation; skills of verbal and non-verbal conflict resolution; must have thorough knowledge of English, spelling, arithmetic, and prepares appropriate business correspondence when necessary; must be able to operate a PC computer, copier and other office equipment as well as current digital devices. Must possess a valid PA Driver’s License.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Work is performed in a generally comfortable indoor environment.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Requires sitting, bending or stooping to file, light lifting of office/library materials (under 50 lbs.), normal corrected vision and hearing, operation of office equipment.
Education: Graduation from a four-year college or university.
Experience: A minimum of 2 years of public library experience. Knowledge of Sierra (library circulation software) preferred.
PA State Police Criminal record check, Drug Screening, PA Child Abuse History clearance and FBI fingerprints are required to begin work.
DISCLAIMER: The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required of the Assistant Director.