BOROUGH OF WILKINSBURG
JOB TITLE: Children’s Department Manager
REPORTS TO: Library Director
LAST REVISED: September 2019
Job Description: The Wilkinsburg Public Library is seeking an enthusiastic candidate to fill the role of Children’s Department Manager. The Children’s Department Manager is tasked with performing programming, outreach, collection development and circulation activities in support of library services with a focus on youth ages birth to 18. The duties may include, but are not limited to, conducting programs and outreach, ordering and maintaining collections for juvenile and teen materials, supervising other library staff, and other duties within the scope of library services.
Essential Job Functions:
- Coordinates and conducts fun, educational and innovative programming for all ages 0-18
- Responsible for collection development of all juvenile and teen materials
- Develops and maintains effective community relations by visiting schools and community groups to promote library services for youth
- Directs and supervises the operations of the children’s department; makes assignments to staff; trains and evaluates staff
- Provides an inclusive and welcoming atmosphere within the library space for all users
- Participate in continuing education opportunities
- Perform Reader’s Advisory for all ages as needed, including adults and families
Performs other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Knowledge of current library trends
- Collection development skills, particularly in regard to juvenile and teen materials
Working knowledge of technology including but not limited to: basic PC, laptop, and mobile device operations and troubleshooting; basic email operations; Microsoft Office functions.
- Experience working with youth in a library or other informal educational setting.
Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to complete projects independently and as a member of a team.
- Working Conditions: Work is typically performed in a busy library setting, often on your feet for several hours a day.
- Must be able to walk, sit, stoop, reach, stand, talk, listen, and use library equipment.
- Must be able to retrieve and shelve library materials, use a step stool, lift at least 20lbs, and move a book cart on wheels.
Education: A Bachelor’s or other secondary education degree and/or certificate is required. A Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science (MLIS) is preferred.
Experience: A minimum of 5 years of public library experience and a minimum of 2 years of supervisory experience is preferred.
PA State Police Criminal record check, Drug Screening, PA Child Abuse History clearance and FBI fingerprints are required to begin work.
Must possess a valid driver’s license and access to a personal vehicle.
Disclaimer: The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required of the Children’s Department Manager.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Full benefits package is provided.