The Board of Trustees of the Moon Township Public Library seek an enthusiastic Director who will set and meet high expectations in leading a talented team as it moves the library forward in a strategic manner. Trust and transparency with staff, Board and community stakeholders must be core values for the new Director. The ideal candidate will possess ingenuity and be proactive in the implementation of an existing strategic plan. This is a full-time position inclusive of daytime, evening and weekend hours.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Plans and coordinates the daily operation and administration of the library.
- Determines staffing needs, recruits and hires library personnel, administers responsibilities, evaluates performance, and promotes development. Ensures continuing education requirements for libraries are met. Ensures quality communication of policies to staff and public.
- Leads staff and volunteers to provide patron assistance, plan programs and activities, oversee the maintenance of collection development, and provide outreach to the community.
- Responsible for planning, organizing, and directing all of the library’s new and ongoing fundraising including, corporation and foundation giving, annual fund, planned giving, special events and capital campaigns. The Director works closely with library staff, volunteers, outside organizations and the Board of Directors in all fundraising endeavors.
- Plans and measures services, programs and staffing to achieve library goals and objectives. Prepares regular reports on current progress and future needs.
- Prepares and adheres to the library’s annual operating budget in consultation with staff and the board. Supplies facts and figures to the board to aid in interpreting the library’s financial status and needs.
- Reviews and records library statistics to meet reporting requirements of the Allegheny County Library Association and Commonwealth Libraries, as well as providing statistical information for grant proposals. Submits reports according to deadlines established, (including but not limited to) grant reporting, monthly board reports, state report, audit, and planned usage of state aid.
- Recommends policies to be adopted by the library. Implements policies and decisions of the board and the Allegheny County Library Association.
- Be actively engaged by attending LAC meetings, regional meetings, and ACLA General Membership meetings. Serve on committees as requested by ACLA.
- Participates in professional library associations, and other professional organizations to remain current on developments and advancements in library science.
- Working knowledge of public library administration, management, current information technologies; library marketing practices; principles of collection development and maintenance; library programming, special events.
- Foster and maintain relationships with community groups, educational institutions, and the overall community at large.
- Act as liaison with the municipal authority, Moon township and Friends of the Library.
- Perform other related duties as necessary to meet the needs of the Moon Township Library.
Education and Experience:
- A master’s degree in library science from an ALA-accredited institution preferred.
- Experience in a public library atmosphere with supervisory experience preferred.
- Must have a thorough understanding of public library operations.
Preferred knowledge of public library operations within Allegheny County.
- Preferred experience working with diverse populations.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
Communication Skills: Ability to read and interpret professional journals, financial reports, legal documents, business correspondence; communicate effectively in both typewritten and oral form. Able to present in a public setting.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to think analytically and to use data as a guide in the decision making process. Ability to exercise initiative and independent judgment. Ability to motivate, establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, peers, administration, volunteers, other community agencies, and the public at large.
How to Apply:
Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter (with salary requirements) and resume to MTPLBoard@gmail.com.