POSITION: Library Director
STATUS: Full-Time, Exempt
HOURS: 40 hours per week
REPORTS TO: Cynthia Haines, Executive Director
DIRECT REPORTS: Library Clerk PT (3), Young Adult Outreach Services Librarian
LOCATION: Father Ryan Arts Center
Performs professional and administrative duties in planning, developing, implementing, and directing library services for the FOR Sto-Rox Public Library. This position carries out and helps design the library’s procedures and community focused strategic plan, and provides the leadership to ensure quality services and programming to advance the overall organization’s mission. Heavy collaboration with the Arts Center Programming to engage young adults and community activism.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Works closely with Focus on Renewal staff to ensure the library programs meet the needs of the diverse community the organization
- Plans and evaluates library services to meet community needs in consultation with the library staff and coordinates work of all library functions and/or departments, e. Adult, Young Adult and Children’s, Technical Services, Circulation, and Administration.
- Oversees the library operations including, cataloging, collection development, electronic resources, and
- Remains current with professional best practices, participating in Allegheny County Library Association (ACLA).
- Serves as personnel officer for the library – hires, reviews and manages all library staff with involvement of Executive Director of Focus On
- Prepares and administers library budget in partnership with Finance Director of Focus On Renewal.
- Administers and writes grants, manages gifts as well as state, local and federal money on a team with Director of Arts & Culture and Director of Engagement & Enterprise
- Assures compliance with all regulations and documentation required by these
- Prepares reports for the Allegheny County Library Association, Allegheny Regional Asset District, Office of Commonwealth Libraries and other requesting
- Interacts with vendors to ensure the best price and quality for library materials, technology, office supplies, equipment, maintenance,
- Reviews and approves invoices, employee time sheets, employee expenditures, bank statements and other financial
- Directs the development and maintenance of the library collection in formats mandated by regulations and reflective of the community and larger system
- Coordinates library’s technology functions with
- Monitors library building to ensure physical plant meets library
- Cooperates with other libraries to improve library service in the
- Completes reports for and monitors participation in county initiatives and shared
- Regularly participates in system-wide meetings, e. Librarians Advisory Council, General Membership, Professional Development, etc. and ensures that library staff does as well.
- Involved in developing and designing fundraising efforts as well as strategic planning
- Represents the library’s interests at community meetings, Friends of the Library
- Acts as ExOfficio at Library Governance Committee Meetings of the Focus On Renewal Board of
Additional Job Responsibilities
- Performs other assignments as necessary for the proper operation of the FOR Sto-Rox
- Master’s degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA accredited
- Three to five years progressive experience in an library
- Thorough knowledge of current trends and developments in the library .
- Proven success in designing and executing community and partnership focused and volunteer driven
- Willingness to integrate literary arts with Arts and Culture programs at Father Ryan Arts Center
- A proven record in working successfully with diverse
- A positive attitude and ability to plan and adapt to
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication
- Proficient in use of Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and related
- Must have ability to bend over and retrieve books from the
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of
- Must be able to manipulate book truck and rolling book return
- Must be able to carry a stack of
- Previous management experience
- Diversity and Inclusiveness Training
- Eager to take on creative and trendsetting library programs
- Experience writing a library newsletter and maintaining a webpage