The Carnegie Library of Homestead seeks a customer service-oriented individual to serve as Library Assistant. The Library Assistant is responsible for assisting with circulation, reference, cataloging, and collection maintenance. This is a full-time position, 40 hours per week, inclusive of daytime, evening, and weekend hours. The Library Assistant works under the supervision of the Library Director.
- Creates and maintains bibliographic and item records for the Library collection.
- Assists with collection maintenance.
- Works with staff to process and repair materials.
- Prepares regular statistical reports.
- Assists with checking materials in and out; registering and updating patron accounts; receiving and processing hold requests; collecting and recording fines and fees; sending faxes; and booking room reservations.
- Works with staff to ensure excellent customer service is demonstrated at the circulation desk on a daily basis.
- Provides reference, readers’ advisory, and referral services to patrons, in person and by telephone.
- Processes and maintains memorial and honor book donations
- Maintains the library’s magazine and newspaper collection.
- Assists patrons in the use of library services, equipment, and facilities.
- Performs other duties as required.
Knowledge and Skills
- Familiarity with automated integrated library systems.
- Understands cataloging and classifying library materials.
- Strong computer skills, especially with Microsoft Office.
- Ability to keep records accurately.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to interact courteously and effectively with the public and with other staff.
- Ability to respond in an effective manner to the concerns of library patrons.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree with two years relevant experience working in a public Library.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.