The Avalon Public Library (APL) serves 4700 residents of Avalon plus neighboring communities providing many educational programs, including early and youth literacy, writers and art clubs as well as assorted cultural programs. The APL seeks a well-organized, energetic leader to direct the library operations. The Library Director will supervise and lead the staff and volunteers. The Director will partner with the internal programs coordinator as well as community leaders. The Library Director reports to the Executive Board.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Working knowledge of public library administration, management, current information technologies: library marketing practices; principles of collection development and maintenance; library programming, and special events.
- Plans and coordinates the daily operation and administration of the
- Determines staffing needs, recruits and hires library personnel, administers responsibilities, evaluates performance, and promotes development. Ensures continuing education requirements are
- Leads staff and volunteers to provide patron assistance, plan programs and activities, oversees the maintenance of collection development, and provide outreach to the
- Works closely with Executive Board, Avalon Borough and The Friends of the
- Plans and measures services, programs and staffing to achieve the Library goals and
- Represents APL to community organizations. Fosters and maintains relationships with community groups, educational institutions and overall community at
- Prepares and adheres to the library’s annual operating budget. (Needs Board approval)
- Reviews and records statistics to meet reporting requirements of the Board of Directors, Allegheny County Library Association (ACLA), and Commonwealth Libraries, as well as providing statistical information for grant proposals. Submits reports according to deadlines established, including, but not limited to: grant reporting, monthly board reports, state report, audit, and planned usage of state
- Recommends policies to be adopted by the Board of Directors. Implements policies and decisions of the Board and the Allegheny County Library
- Be actively engaged by attending LAC meetings, regional meetings, ACLA General Membership meetings, Serve on committees as requested by ACLA and the District
- Participates in professional library associations and other professional organizations to remain current on developments and advancements in library
- Performs other related duties as necessary to meet the needs of Education Requirements:
- A master’s degree in library science. A minimum of 3 years experience in a public library, with supervisory experience is
- Must have a thorough understanding of public library
- Preferred knowledge of public library operations in Allegheny
- Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable
Required Skills and abilities:
- Ability to understand financial reports, legal documents, business correspondence; communicate effectively both orally and in written forms. Must be able to present in public setting.
- Ability to think analytically and to develop new or revised procedures and programs. Ability to exercise initiative and independent judgement. Ability to motivate, establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, volunteers, other community agencies, and the
- Ability to meet physical demands of the job which includes; sitting, standing, walking and reaching. Must be able to lift and/or move up to 25
- Ability to speak and hear with ambient
Benefits include: Annual salary, with paid time off and paid holidays. Free parking. Director’s schedule is typically Monday – Friday, 40 hours a week and evenings and Saturdays as needed. Employee is subject to criminal background check, FBI and youth clearance checks, prior to employment.
Qualified candidates should submit no later than Monday, June 10, 2019 a cover letter (with salary requirements) and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org attn: Executive Board – job posting