The Greensburg Hempfield Area Library (GHAL) Board of Trustees is seeking a passionate, motivated lifelong learner to lead the library on its new mission: to enrich our community by promoting literacy and fostering lifelong learning.
About the Library: The GHAL is recognized by the State of Pennsylvania as the public library serving the communities that are part of the Greensburg Salem School District and the Hempfield Area School District. The Library is a nonprofit corporation and has no formal legal ties to any municipality. The governing body, the Board of Trustees, is comprised of individuals who represent the areas served by the library.
Special Skills Required:
- Community Mindedness – Possesses a Public Relations mindset and is ready and willing to lead the way in attending and actively participating in community events and forming partnerships with businesses, organizations, and citizens of the city of Greensburg, Hempfield Township, the boroughs and/or municipalities of Southwest Greensburg, South Greensburg, New Stanton, and Youngwood. This includes designing new plans for fundraising, grant writing, and gift solicitation.
- Friendliness & Responsiveness- Demonstrates the high level of energy necessary to represent the library in a positive, community oriented manner.
- Innovation- Exhibits an understanding and working knowledge of the evolving nature of libraries
- Possesses the self-motivation and creativity to move the GHAL into new ventures and partnerships: an individual motivated to guide the library in realistic new ways of operation, ways that embrace the latest available technology, denote realistic and creative thinking in the process of initiating positive change.
The Library Director is responsible for overseeing all aspects of Library operations, including supervising, organizing, directing, and promoting activities which include:
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of modern library systems and programs including:
- Collection classification and selection techniques
- Collection development
- Policy development and implementation
- Implementation of comprehensive library system including planning, organizing, coordinating
- Budget planning and operation management and reporting
- Coordinate, analyze, and utilize a variety of data, reports and records in decision-making
- Develop procedures and standards necessary for managing the budget, income, and expenditures
- Office management and staff development
- Implement principles and practices of effective management and resources
- Encourage staff to attend programs, workshops, and trainings
- Mentor and coach or arrange for mentoring and coaching of staff
- Supervise and schedule staff members and volunteers
- Evaluate performance of staff
- Oversee the maintenance of the physical building
- Technology planning and implementation
- Maintenance of library operations in compliance with established policies
- Schedule and implement special library activities
- Assess existing programs using data and implementation of changes or new programs needed to meet library needs of the community
- Public relations for the library and library programs
- Development of library master or (strategic) plan process, creation and implementation, both short-term and long-term
- Knowledge of equipment and facilities required in a comprehensive library system
- Understanding of community library needs and resources
- Library development and fund raising including gift solicitation, funding grants, seeking out and securing new revenue streams
- Identify and develop other sources of non-tax funding such as grants, gifts
- Communicate effectively, verbally and in writing
- Establishment and maintenance of effective working relationships through advising, consulting and conferring with the Library Board, other libraries, professionals, employees, State and local officials, citizens and community groups
- Other duties as assigned
Tools and Equipment Used:
- Computer with printer
- Microsoft Office products, Internet, Library databases
Master of Library Science from an accredited American Library Association Institution?
Required Experience: Candidates should have prior success in working with library personnel, local officials, and community leaders. Candidates should be successful in budgeting and have had experience in both short and long term planning. Candidates must possess strong organization, communication and computer skills, and have interpersonal and supervisory competency.
Necessary Special Requirements: Certification as a professional librarian by the State Librarian. Pennsylvania State Police criminal record check, Pennsylvania Child Abuse history clearance.
Recommended: Member of ALA and PaLA
Reports to: The Greensburg Hempfield Area Board of Trustees
Compensation: The salary range for this position is commensurate with the individual’s qualifications and experience. Full benefits.
Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter, and three references to GHALDirectorSearch@gmail.com no later than Saturday, August 26 at 5:00pm.
No paper copies will be accepted.