The Monongahela Area Library is seeking a Library Director to begin as soon as possible.
The Monongahela Area Library is located in the beautiful Mon Valley area, approximately 30 miles south of Pittsburgh. The library serves a population size of over 16,000 from six different municipalities in the Ringgold School District; Monongahela, New Eagle, Finleyville, Carroll, Nottingham, and Union. Our mission is to educate, enrich, and enhance the community.
This is a full-time, 40 hours per week, salaried position. Compensation will be based on qualifications and experience.
The Library Director, under direction from the Library Board, carries out the administration of all library functions within the goals, guidelines, and policies established by the Library Board of Trustees. This position holds he expectation of providing a leadership role within the library, the community, and the library profession as well as being the official representative of the library.
Responsibilities and Duties Include:
- Management, training, and supervision of library employees and volunteers
- Hiring, evaluation, and termination of library employees when necessary
- Managing day-to-day operations
- Formulating policies and procedures to be presented to the library board
- Implementing board adopted policies and procedures
- Assisting in development of the annual budget
- Monitoring and approving appropriations and expenditures
- Developing, managing, and evaluating events and activities including all library programs for all age groups and taking into account community needs
- Adopting and implementing new services
- Promoting and publicizing events and services, including maintaining the library’s social media presence
- Planning for future needs
- Overseeing facility management
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with library patrons, government agencies, civic and community groups, schools, and the general public
- Attending library board meetings, WCLS/WAGGIN meetings and trainings, and serving as a resource for the library board
- Writing and submitting grant applications and reports including the Annual State Aid report, Summer Reading Program report, and other state required reports
- Serving as fundraising support Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- 12 credits in Library Science from an ALA accredited institution
- At least 2 years of library experience is preferred
- Valid Pennsylvania driver’s license is required
- The ability to work some weekend and evening hours
Send (via email) your resume, cover letter, and three professional references to:
MonongahelaAreaLibrary@gmail.com with the subject line “Library Director Search Committee.”
Please take note of the following:
- No paper applications will be
- Applications shall be due by Monday, February 3,
- All library positions require the following criminal background and child abuse clearances:
- Report of criminal history from the Pennsylvania State Police
- Child Abuse History Clearance from the Department of Human Services
- Fingerprint ID based on federal criminal history through the Pennsylvania State Police or its authorized agent (FBI)
The Monongahela Area Library is an equal opportunity employer.