The Mount Pleasant Free Public Library Association Inc., a small town library, which will be referred to hereafter as the Library, 45 miles southeast of Pittsburgh serves a population of 11,000 in the Mount Pleasant borough and township. It is a member of the Westmoreland County Federated Library System, an alliance of 24 member libraries serving the residents of Westmoreland County. The library supports an active programming schedule designed to promote not only basic literacy but also informational, civic and social, health, and financial literacy. In addition to our lap-sit, pre-school, and summer reading program, we offer Dinner in the Stacks, Sunday Salons, Writers’ Circle, Genealogy Group, Game Club, Chess Club, Crochet Club, Anime Club and many more opportunities.
Job Summary: The Mount Pleasant Free Public Library is seeking an individual who is motivated and passionate to fulfill the Library’s mission to promote literacy, advance life-long learning, and serve as a gathering place for the development of an active and informed community.
The ideal candidate will be a forward-thinking, community oriented leader who possess strong organizational and project management skills and will be responsible for directing all phases of the Library operations in coordination with the goals, policies, and budgetary decisions of the Board of Trustees. S/he should have a strong interest in continuing to expand programming to all members of the community and be willing to work collaboratively with the board of trustees.
The candidate should possess the following attributes:
- Knowledge of: the principles and practices of professional library management, collection development principles and publishing trends, classification, organization, and display of materials, program development and needs assessment, strategic planning and budget development, public relations and marketing, staff training, development, and evaluation, general office practices and procedures, and emerging library trends.
- Skill in: database searching and using library automation systems, program development and evaluation, project management, developing and maintaining local partnerships, and public speaking.
- Ability to: be courteous and tactful with the general public, communicate effectively verbally and in writing, establish and maintain working relationships with patrons, library staff, Board members, and the general public, implement policies and procedures, exercise initiative and judgment in completing tasks, and maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to: work a flexible schedule, travel to meetings and library outreach events, set priorities, meet deadlines and maintain a budget
- Master of Library Science from an accredited American Library Association (ALA) institution
- A minimum of 2 years experience working in libraries with demonstrated supervisory experience
- Experience with non-profit fundraising, grant writing and capital campaigns is desirable
Location: 120 S. Church St., Mount Pleasant, PA 15666. www.mountpleasantpalibrary.org
Hours: Time is salaried, full time position (40 hours a week); some weekend and evening hours required.
Salary: $33,000 to 38,000
Benefits: Paid vacation, 5 personal days, 6 paid holidays.
To Apply: Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and three references to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No paper applications will be accepted.
All library positions require the following criminal background and child abuse clearances:
- Report of criminal history from the Pennsylvania State Police
- Child Abuse History Clearances from the Department of Human Services
- Fingerprint ID based on federal criminal history submitted through the Pennsylvania State Police or its authorized agent (FBI)