The Murrysville Community Library, a suburban library 18 miles east of Pittsburgh, serves a population of 28,000 in Murrysville, Export and Washington Twp. It is a member of the Westmoreland County Federated Library System, an alliance of 24 member libraries serving the residents of Westmoreland County. MCL supports a very active programming schedule: the annual multicultural Jingles ‘n Gingerbread holiday gathering with 500 attendees, 1000 children each year in the Summer Reading Club program, Dog Reading Pals, the Plant Based Nutrition Support Group, among many other programs. Murrysville Community Library is also the founding home of Storytime STEM-packs™. Following is a link to current programming – http://www.murrysvillelibrary.org/Events_&_Programs.html.
Job Summary: The Murrysville Community Library is seeking an individual who is passionate and motivated to lead the library in its mission: to inspire ideas, enrich lives and create lifelong opportunities for learning, literacy, and enjoyment.
The ideal candidate will be a forward-thinking, community oriented leader who possesses strong organizational and project management skills and will be responsible for planning, organizing, managing and directing all phases of the Library operations in coordination with the goals, policies and budgetary decisions of the Library Board of Trustees. S/he should have a strong interest in continuing to expand the programming to all members of the community, supporting the current STEM emphasis, and working closely with the county library system.
The candidate should possess the following attributes:
- Knowledge of: the principles and practices of professional library management, collection development principles and publishing trends, classification, organization, and display of materials, program development and needs assessment, strategic planning and budget development, public relations and marketing, staff training and development, general office practices and procedures, and emerging library
- Skill in: database searching and using library automation systems, program development and evaluation, project management, developing and maintaining local partnerships, and public
- Ability to: be courteous and tactful with the general public, to communicate effectively verbally and in writing, establish and maintain working relationships with patrons, library staff and Board members, and the general public, to implement policy and procedure, to exercise initiative and judgment in completing tasks, and to maintain
- Ability to: work a flexible schedule that includes Saturdays, Sundays and evenings as needed, travel to meetings and library outreach events, provide close attention to detail despite interruptions, set priorities, meet deadlines and maintain a
- Master of Library Science from an accredited American Library Association (ALA) Institution
- A minimum of five years progressive experience working in libraries with demonstrated supervisory
- Experience with non-profit fundraising, grant writing and capital campaigns is
- As this library is a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization, experience in the non-profit arena is beneficial.
Location: Murrysville, PA, https://www.murrysvillelibrary.org/About_Us.html
Hours: This is a salaried, full time position (35 hours a week); some weekend and evening hours will be required.
Salary: $41,000 to $61,000, commensurate with experience
Benefits: The Murrysville Community Library offers paid health insurance, paid vacation, and sick leave to its full time employees.
To Apply: Interested candidates should submit a cover letter including salary requirements, resume, and three references to MCLSearch4130@gmail.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No paper applications will be accepted.
All library positions require the following criminal background and child abuse clearances: Report of criminal history from the Pennsylvania State Police, Child Abuse History Clearance from the Department of Human Services, and fingerprint ID based on federal criminal history submitted through the Pennsylvania State Police or its authorized agent (FBI).