Job Title: Library Director
Reports To: Borough Manager
Location: Wilkinsburg Public Library, 605 Ross Avenue
Serve as the lead administrator for the Wilkinsburg Public Library and exercise administrative supervision of all library staff and community volunteers. Has full responsibility for developing and implementing a comprehensive library program for the Borough. Evaluate, plan, organize, direct and coordinate all library activities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively create and maintain new and creative ways to engage library users through programming, collections, and beyond.
- Diligently fundraise and seek out grant or other revenue opportunities for the library.
- Promote and represent the library on the local, county, and state level through various meetings, initiatives, and committees.
- Formulates and recommends new library policies and procedures, supervises staff and resources within the library.
- Actively represent the library for various committees, community organizations, and stakeholders, maintaining relationships in order to best serve the community
- Work with staff to oversee collection development.
- Determine appropriate staffing levels, evaluate work performance standards, workloads, and responsibilities.
- Attend and present library reports at monthly Library Advisory Board and Wilkinsburg Borough Council meetings.
- Prepare, present and justify the annual library budget, administer the budget as approved by Borough Council with assistance from the Borough Finance Director.
- Stay current with new trends and innovations in management, library administration, and library services.
- Perform other related duties as necessary.
Essential Job Functions:
- Thorough understanding of professional public library operations and current library trends.
- Communicate clearly and correctly both orally and in writing, via multiple electronic/digital devices.
- Ability to competently and thoroughly understand and use a variety of current technologies
- Understands and has the ability to work within the scope of the Collective Bargaining Agreement with the SEIU.
- Ability to exercise initiative, appropriate discretion and good judgment.
- Foster a productive, cooperative working environment.
- Experience working with diverse populations.
- MLS/MLIS degree from an ALA-accredited program.
- 3-5 years of library director experience, preferred; a combination of experience and education equivalent will be considered.
- Successful PA State Police criminal record check, drug screening and PA child abuse history clearance.
- Submission of fingerprints to the FBI are required to begin work.
- Valid driver’s license for travel to and from work and other necessary events.
This advertisement is not intended to be a contract or an all inclusive list of duties. Employees may be required to perform other duties necessary to meet the ongoing needs of the Wilkinsburg Public Library.
Job Pay and Benefits
The position is a managerial (at will) position and has a salary range of $45,000 to $49,000 per year based on qualifications. The position includes paid holidays, paid vacation and paid personal days. Paid medical benefits including eye and dental for individual or family with a $10-$20 per pay contribution. A minimum of 40 hours per week (usually 9-5) is expected with some limited evening and weekend hours.
Applications will be received until January 24, 2020. Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter and work history to: Borough of Wilkinsburg Administrative Offices, 605 Ross Avenue, Wilkinsburg, PA 15221. The Borough of Wilkinsburg is an equal opportunity employer.