Serve as the lead administrator for the Wilkinsburg Public Library and exercise administrative supervision of all library staff and community volunteers. Has full responsibility for developing and implementing a comprehensive library program for the Borough. Evaluate, plan, organize, direct and coordinate all library activities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Efficient administration and operation of an inclusive, balanced library program in relation to the needs of the community.
- Actively find new and creative ways to engage patrons and residents, and to promote the library in the Borough.
- Coordinate all aspects of collection development including policies, selection, acquisitions, cataloging, circulation and weeding.
- Formulates and recommends new library policies and procedures, supervises staff and recommends changes in staffing and allocation of resources at the library.
- Determine appropriate staffing levels, evaluate work performance standards, staff development, workloads, and responsibilities.
- Make professional recommendations to the Borough on allocation of human resources at the library, interview and appoint job applicants with Borough Council approval.
- Determine quality and quantity of services to be offered to the public, and the means and methods of offering those services.
- Prepare all required reports for the Library Advisory Board and Borough, Allegheny County Library Association and the State Library.
- Attend and present library reports at monthly Library Advisory Board and Wilkinsburg Borough Council meetings.
- Comply with all pertinent federal, state, and local laws, regulations, and ordinances.
- Prepare, present and justify the annual library budget, administer the budget as approved by Borough Council with assistance from the Borough Finance Director.
- Identify grant opportunities for the library and work with the Borough Manager, staff and Borough Council to complete and submit grant applications for the library.
- Act as a liaison with Friends of the Living Library of Wilkinsburg to ensure a positive relationship, and submit projects for consideration.
- Maintain effective professional relationships with local government and legislative bodies, the Library Advisory Board, library staff, Borough Manager and other Borough staff, professional and institutional organizations, organized labor, state and national library organizations, educational institutions at all levels, and the community at large.
- Represent the library at various committees and community organizations and develop and maintain relationships with community groups and stakeholders throughout the Borough.
- Work with Allegheny County Library Association and other regional libraries to discover approaches to improve services at the library, create efficiencies and to partner to advance the Wilkinsburg Public Library.
- Stay current with new trends and innovations, management, library administration, and library services.
- Perform other related duties as necessary.
Essential Job Functions:
- Thorough understanding of professional public library operations.
- Communicate clearly and correctly both orally and in writing, via multiple electronic/digital devices.
- Ability to use Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook effectively.
- Understands and has the ability to work within the scope of the Collective Bargaining Agreement with the SEIU.
- Ability to exercise initiative, appropriate discretion and good judgment.
- Foster a productive, cooperative working environment.
- Experience working with diverse populations.
- MLS/MLIS degree from an ALA-accredited program.
- 3-5 years of library director experience, preferred; a combination of experience and education equivalent will be considered.
- Successful PA State Police criminal record check, drug screening and PA child abuse history clearance.
- Submission of fingerprints to the FBI are required to begin work.
- Valid driver’s license for travel to and from work and other necessary events.
This advertisement is not intended to be a contract or and all inclusive list of duties. Employees may be required to perform other duties necessary to meet the ongoing needs of the Wilkinsburg Public Library.
Applications will be received until April 19, 2019. Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter and work history to: Borough of Wilkinsburg Administrative Offices, 605 Ross Avenue, Wilkinsburg, PA 15221. The Borough of Wilkinsburg is an equal opportunity employer.