This is a twenty (20) hour per week permanent employee or internship for an MLS degree candidate paid position. Job may require some nights and Saturday work hours. The ideal candidate for this position has a forward thinking approach to libraries, enjoys working with people of all ages, possesses excellent oral and written communication skills, has strong customer service skills. Strong computer skills are mandatory. The ability to work well in a team-oriented environment is required. A flexible schedule and prior library experience are preferred.
The primary responsibilities of the position include:
- Assist with opening and closing process of library
- Handle all circulation-related duties (check in/check out material, place requests, route items, handle cash transactions, etc.)
- Understand and be able to assist patrons with online resourcesand research
- Research outside of immediate collection resources to resolve patron inquiries when needed
- Accurately shelve all items in accordance with local and Dewey-assigned call numbers.
- Evaluate and identify any damage to items and recommend items for repair or removal from the collection
- Assist with ongoing collection development (recommendations for additions and/or removals of material)
- Demonstrate positive customer (patron) relationsand respect for co-workers
- Incorporate policy change, schedule change, and new assignments into daily schedule
- Maintain a positive attitude and demonstrate flexibility as the needs of the library and of the circulation desk fluctuate to reflect increased use of the Library and its collections
- Performs other tasks and special assignments as required
Starting Salary: $8.25/hr
The following three clearances are required prior to start date: PA Child Abuse Clearance, PA Criminal Record Check and FBI Criminal Background Check.
Please mail/email your resume and three professional references to:
Heritage Public Library
52 Fourth St
McDonald, PA 15057