Job Title: Youth Services Associate
Pay grade: Part-time, approximately 27.5 hours per week
Immediate Supervisor: Youth Services Coordinator
Job Summary: Under direction of the Youth Services Coordinator, this position serves the public through the design, planning and implementation of programs in the Library and at local schools, preschools, daycares and events. This position also requires assisting patrons while staffing the Youth Services Reference Desk.
Qualifications: College degree required. A passion for serving people required. Public service experience required. Ability to enjoy and celebrate change required. Experience working and interacting with children and families in an educational or community setting preferred. Child Abuse History Clearance, PA State Police Criminal Record Check and FBI Criminal Background Check required upon hire. Valid PA driver’s license and use of a personal vehicle are required.
Knowledge, skills and abilities: Outstanding people skills and commitment to service. Ability to maintain consistent, friendly, quality service and joyful relationships with all. Ability to exercise independent judgment, take initiative, make decisions, problem-solve within the parameters of library policy and based on experience. Willingness to make mistakes and graciously accept the mistakes of others. Flexible, creative, innovative, enthusiastic team player capable of executing projects and services. Desire and ability to learn new skills and expand knowledge of library materials and services in all formats. A strong belief in the power of libraries to empower individuals and families. Strong knowledge of developmentally appropriate practices. Excellent computer skills and the ability to share those skills with others. Strong knowledge of literature for children, youth and caregivers with the ability to champion reading. Must be comfortable presenting, managing and engaging large groups.
Primary schedule and essential duties of this position:
- Mondays: 11am-8pm, including a Lunch Bunch program at 12:15pm for preschoolers, featuring stories and a hands-on activity and an evening Book Babies program for children from birth to 18 months and their caregivers
- Tuesdays: 10am-6pm, including two Book Babies programs at 10:15am and 11:15am and an afternoon outreach featuring (4) 30-minute programs to toddlers and preschoolers at a local daycare
- Thursdays: 10am-2:00pm, including a science program for preschoolers and their caregivers
- Fridays: 10am-6:00pm, including a Music Adventure program for toddlers and preschoolers and their caregivers
- You will also be asked to help plan and work with the rest of staff on one Friday evening or Saturday morning “Family Program” for young children and their caregivers
- Work one Saturday 9:45am-5pm or Sunday 12:45pm-5pm a month
- Embrace the Library as a whole and as such be aware of and promote all of the Library’s events and policies. Collaborate with staff and volunteers on library-wide projects and events.
- Conduct library tours for school children and teens as requested
- Create displays and straightens the department
- Build relationships with schools and organizations for the purpose of promoting early literacy, family engagement, library programs and encouraging community partnerships.
- Answer telephone, assists patrons using the library ILS system and shelves materials as needed
- Assist patrons with library equipment, computers, and electronic materials.
- Provide basic maintenance service of computers and equipment. Notify librarian on-duty of further equipment issues and facility issues
- Follow opening and closing procedures
- Participate in continuing education opportunities and professional development
- In conjunction with Board, Director and Staff, updates/creates and enforces library policy
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work environment: Requires physical ability to lift, bend and push carts full of library materials. Stoops, stretches and climbs to retrieve, shelve and display materials. Also requires the ability to set up tables and chairs in community room. Repetitive functions, including computer use. Frequent exposure to noise, disruptions, typical household cleaning products and stress. Periodically works beyond normal work hours or on as-needed basis, including evenings and weekends.