The mission of Cooper-Siegel Community Library is to cultivate a community of lifelong learners. The Library provides a high-quality collection of books, media, and subscriptions as well as engaging programs and friendly customer service to serve the educational, cultural, professional and recreational needs and interests of our patrons.
Pay Range: $11.55 – $19.33 per hour, commensurate with experience
Status: Regular Part-time, Non-Exempt
Hours per Week: 16-20 including some evenings and weekends
Benefits: Paid Time Off; Retirement Plan
The Library Assistant role is critical to achieving this mission. The Library Assistant is responsible and accountable to the Department Head for providing quality service to the patrons and staff of the Department as follows:
- Provide information and answer patrons’ questions in person, online and over the phone.
- Assist with weeding the collection.
- Assist with planning, developing, promoting, implementing and evaluating programs.
- Provide technological assistance to patrons.
- Assist patrons in finding information and in using library materials, equipment and computers, and referring more in-depth research or questions to the Dept. Head.
- Provide reference, referral and reader’s advisory service to patrons.
- Perform patron services duties, such as checking out materials, creating and renewing library cards and placing holds for patrons.
- Register patrons for library programs.
- Identify and work to improve issues with processes that affect patron satisfaction or library efficiency.
- Complete special projects as required by the organization.
- Attend monthly mandatory all-staff meetings and other meetings and trainings pertaining to the position.
- Maintain a safe, clean, and cost-efficient environment that meets the needs of the library.
- Monitor public usage of the library.
Required Education and Experience
- High school diploma, some college preferred
- One year in-person customer service experience, preferably in a public library
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Knowledge of librarianship
- Superior internet and computer skills
- Ability to exercise judgment and initiative
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to provide a clean PA Criminal Background Check, PA Child Abuse Clearance and FBI Fingerprinting Clearance prior to start date.
Required Behavioral Competencies
- Customer focus
- Integrity and trust
- Patient with people and processes
- Quick learner
- Good decision maker
- Cope effectively with ambiguity and change
- Problem solving
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- This position requires frequently sitting, and periodically bending, stooping, crouching, kneeling or crawling, standing for long periods, using hand or fingers to manipulate touch or handle and climb or balance.
- Periodically will need to lift or push up to 15 pounds and rarely up to 30 pounds.
- The work environment noise level is typical of a moderately noisy standard business office with equipment running; outdoors in normal suburban setting.
Tools and Equipment
- Fax machine
- Apple and Android mobile devices, Kindles and other e-readers
- Credit card processing equipment and software
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The responsibilities outlined above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Applications for this position will be accepted through July 15th. Please submit a cover letter, resume and three professional references to Kelley Beeson, Adult Services Department Head, at firstname.lastname@example.org . No phone calls please.