Adams Memorial Library is seeking applicants for the position of Children’s Librarian. This position reports to the Children’s Director and the Library Director, and is full-time at 37.5 hours. Salary is $32,000 with health, vision and dental benefits, paid vacation and paid sick leave. The Children’s Librarian is REQUIRED to work A MINIMUM OF TWO evenings per week and at least two Saturdays per month.
Applicants must have:
- A degree in library science. Applicants who have an equivalent degree in childhood education may be considered, if they also have experience working in public libraries.
- Experience in programming for children from birth through older teens.
- Familiarity with current and classic children’s and young adult literature.
- Clearances to work with children.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Preparing and carrying out year-round programming for multiple age levels. In some cases programs run past scheduled work time, and applicants must be flexible about shifts. Some programs are off-site, and require the employee to have reliable transportation. The library runs an annual ten-week summer reading program for 600-900 kids, and the librarian will be responsible for helping to plan and carry out this annual event.
- Creating and maintaining promotional materials such as posters, newsletters, email blasts, social media posts, displays and monthly calendars. This also includes working with the library’s web developer to keep the kids’ section of the library’s website up to date.
- Addressing groups during tours and at school visits.
- Assisting the Children’s Director and Library Director with collection development, including selecting materials, ordering, cataloging (after local training and certification), processing and weeding
- Providing patron assistance including reference.
- Working the circulation desk, answering phones and shelving materials.
- Assisting the Children’s Director in daily operations.
Must be physically able to bend and reach low and high shelves, must be able to move heavy boxes of books.
PHONE INQUIRIES NOT PERMITTED. Applicants who phone the library will be rejected. Questions may be submitted via email. Please submit cover letter and resume via email or snail mail at:
Adams Memorial Library
1112 Ligonier St
Latrobe, PA 15650