Come join us! Monroeville Public Library is looking for an enthusiastic, team-oriented applicant for a full-time position as Children’s Librarian, reporting to our Head of Children’s Programming. Please see job description below for more details.
Pay rate is $15/hr., plus excellent benefits package (including health, vision, dental, PTO, and retirement).
Interested applicants can email their resume, cover letter, and three references to Nicole Henline, Library Director, at email@example.com
JOB TITLE: Children’s Librarian
REPORTS TO: Head of Children’s Programs
Benefits Eligible: Yes
Provides the highest quality customer service to all library patrons and visitors delivered with kindness, attention, and respect. Under supervision, develops and delivers children’s programs. Ensures that library materials are properly accounted for through the check-in/check-out process and by putting materials in their correct places. Shows appreciation towards patrons, enjoys going the extra mile, and embraces an openness to continuous development of customer service skills.
- Interacts regularly with patrons, visitors, and other library staff members primarily to provide and/or receive information. May handle sensitive patron issues including compliance with established library practices, complaints, and/or disruptions. Escalates challenging issues to Supervisor as appropriate.
- Prepares and implements children’s programs, including STEM-based programming, as overseen by supervisor. Determines theme and activities and prepares all supporting materials. Ensures that programming reflects a balanced and diverse approach. Coordinates all event details. Evaluates success of programs with supervisor.
- Delivers children’s programs under the direction of the Head of Children’s Programs.
- Assists with assessing and rebalancing current collection, based on knowledge of patrons’ needs, analysis of collection date, and budget. Adds and weeds materials to and from collection as appropriate.
- Assists in the development of partnerships with community groups. Works with community leaders and influencers to expand Library’s outreach.
- Circulation duties, including checking materials in and out of the library, pulling materials, and shelving.
- Answers the phone and handles or directs the call. Checks phone messages and handles the message or routes it to the correct staff member.
- Identifies and acquires or builds required skills to support current operations. Supports a supportive, team-building work environment grounded in personal ownership and improvement.
* Essential functions are those job duties that the position exists to perform. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Master’s degree in library science or an advanced degree in education [Preferred]
- At least two years of experience working with children [Preferred]
- Ability and willingness to learn new technology and develop STEM programming according to community wants/needs
- Excellent facilitation skills necessary to create and maintain a safe, open, and respectful environment
- Ability to effectively communicate with patrons both in-person and by phone
- Ability to interact with a diverse population in a courteous manner, employing tact and diplomacy when dealing with challenging customer situations
- Ability to work independently and with initiative
- Ability and willingness to regularly travel to local community sites to deliver programs
- Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance, Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check, and FBI fingerprint-based background check are required prior to offer of employment
- Monroeville Residency required within one year of hiring date.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to frequently bend, twist, and stoop
- Ability to lift at least 30 pounds necessary to set up chairs, tables, and other equipment for programs and move boxes of materials
- Visual acuity necessary to read from a computer screen and accurately track materials
- Manual dexterity necessary to handle books, papers, files and type on a keyboard
- Hearing necessary to interact with staff, patrons and other shareholders