The children’s services coordinator plans and implements programming for children and their families, networks and creates partnerships with community organizations, selects materials for the children’s collection, maintains children’s area, and monitors behavior of children in the library.
- Works under supervision of Director
- Develops programs and services to meet specific needs of the youth and their families in the community
- Provides reference service to children, teachers and parents and provides reader’s advisory service
- Evaluates and assists in the selection of materials for library acquisition and maintenance of the collections.
- Assists in promoting library use, especially programming and services for children and their families.
- Plans, prepares, and presents library run programs and supervises outside presenters’ presentations
- Maintains statistics and reports regarding programs including: statistics, descriptions, and
- evaluations of the programs
- Prepares press releases for library programs
- Meets with other staff members in order to coordinate activities and exchange information about programs
- Represents the library on children’s services committees and outreach programs related to children
- Monitors public use of library facilities
- Takes action to halt disruption of library activities by problem patrons
- Performs duties in other library services and participates in library special projects as needed
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Director
- Conducts library tours for children. parents, and interested individuals
- Trains other staff members and volunteers on a variety of library procedures
- Care and maintenance of library pets and their environments
- Planning, preparing, changing, and maintaining library Storywalks© in the community
- Designing slides for all library programs to display on outdoor digital sign and Facebook posts
- Preparing monthly calendar and newsletter for programming
Knowledge, Skill, and Ability:
- Ability to work well with children and their grown-ups, both individually and in groups
- Considerable knowledge of children’s library services, programs and literature
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of library principles and practices
- Ability to deal cooperatively with others and work as a team member
- Considerable ability to plan, organize and coordinate work routines
- Exhibits creativity, energy and enthusiasm to promote positive community spirit and friendship
- Ability to communicate effectively in written and oral expression
- Ability to read a loud and speak in front of large groups
- Ability to work independently, supervise volunteers, and manage large groups of children
- Uses initiative
- Physically capable of standing for long stretches of time, bending and reaching above head, carrying and moving materials and carts up to 40lbs.
- Ability to multitask
- Ability to proficiently perform above listed duties
- Bachelor’s Degree in Library Science or Education with experience working with children and young adults or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Interested? The Community Library of the Shenango Valley is looking for a Children’s Services Coordinator. If interested, please send a cover letter, application, and resume to library director Robin Pundzak at email@example.com.