The Pennsylvania Department of Education is seeking candidates for the position of Deputy Secretary of Education/Commissioner for Libraries/State Librarian. The position offers a significant opportunity for a highly qualified and motivated individual in the planning, coordination, and direction for all activities of the state’s library program including statewide library development, school library services and research/resource library service to state government, other libraries, and the public. The Commissioner for Libraries reports to the Secretary of Education and serves at the pleasure of the Secretary and the Governor of Pennsylvania.
The Commissioner for Libraries provides strategic leadership of library programs throughout the state. Collaborates with professional departmental personnel, local library officials, and the government community to align library service with the needs and development opportunities of the Commonwealth.
Responsible for policy formulation and implementation, fiscal administration, service enhancement, constituent engagement and communication. Functions as executive director to the Governor’s Advisory Council on Library Development and recommends legislative policy.
- A minimum of ten years of experience in professional library work including seven years in a supervisory or administrative capacity with an academic, public, school, or special library, or a professional library organization.
- Master’s degree or fifth year degree in library science, from a program approved by the Department of Education, or accredited by the American Library Association.
- Additional degree desirable, particularly a Master’s or Doctoral degree in public administration or a doctorate in library science.
Key leadership skills:
- Communication: Maintains effective communication with state government officials, department staff, and the library community through active listening, and transparency. Keeps all parties informed of the process and the outcomes.
- Trust: Instills trust with a passion for the value of libraries and the organization’s vision and mission. Works with honesty, integrity, and authenticity. Provides follow-through on commitments and promises, with consistent behavior and messages. Actively values differences in ideas and people.
- Strategic Mindset: Has a strategic mindset. Understands opportunities and drives innovation leading to change. Takes intelligent risks. Creates strategies which drive all decisions.
- Situational Adaptability: Adapts to rapidly changing situation. Manages competing demands from internal and external forces. Is able to manage the quickly changing demands of the position.
- Attracts and Retains Top Talent: Creates a workplace where people want to work. Provides opportunities for growth in positions.
- Organizational Savvy: Maintains political astuteness, and understands how to make progress in a large bureaucracy. Takes the time to learn the history and dynamics of the system, and then uses that knowledge as a springboard for change: takes a good thing and make it better.
The Commonwealth is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse workforce. The Commonwealth values inclusion as we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most qualified people to serve the citizens of Pennsylvania. The Commonwealth does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious creed, ancestry, union membership, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, AIDS or HIV status, disability, or any other categories protected by applicable federal or state law. All diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.
Salary: $161,000 annually, plus benefits.
Applications will be reviewed as received.
Please e-mail cover letter and resume to:
Office of Administration
Pennsylvania Department of Education
333 Market Street, 10th Floor
Harrisburg, PA 17126-0333
Please copy David Belanger firstname.lastname@example.org