Location: Canonsburg, PA
Hours: Full-time position (35 hours a week), must be available to work 2 evenings a week and 2 Saturdays a month
Salary: Hiring range is $16 to $22 hourly rate commensurate with experience and education
Benefits: Frank Sarris Public Library offers paid vacation, sick leave, holidays and matching 401-K retirement plan.
The Frank Sarris Public Library (FSPL), a suburban library about 20 miles south of Pittsburgh, serves a population of 40,000. Our service areas include Canonsburg Borough, Cecil and North Strabane Townships. FSPL moved to its’ current home, a 30,000-square-foot building on 35 North Jefferson Avenue in 2011. FSPL offers diverse youth programs year-round to suit the needs of children and families of the Canon-McMillan School District. In addition, every summer, FSPL offers a vibrant learning camp for school-aged children and reading programs for all ages.
Applicants should have the following credentials:
- A master’s degree in Library Science from an accredited American Library Association institution with a focus in youth services. Applicants who have equivalent degrees in related fields may be considered if they also have proven strong records working in public libraries.
- Minimum 3 years of progressive experience in delivering a wide range of educational programs for children ages 0 – 18 years.
- Proven skill sets in children’s program development from birth through older teen, ability to work independently and as part of a team, budgeting and personnel management, building and maintaining community relationships, using technologies and media to advance the library’s mission, and public speaking.
- Commitment to excellent customer service; ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing; and demonstrate flexibility to cover for co-workers as needed.
- Demonstration of an ability to connect with children, families and stakeholders; strongly believe in the values of public libraries and possess a passion in children’s work.
- Valid driver’s license and must have reliable transportation.
- Must be physically able to reach low and high shelves, must be able to move heavy boxes of books.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Planning, creating and implementing educational programs for youth (ages birth through 18) year-round.
- Supervise and manage the daily operation of the youth services department.
- Supervise and manage the youth services personnel and budget.
- Manage the facility and workspace of the youth services department.
- Supervise all children’s outreach events.
- Represent FSPL in community events as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Prepare monthly and annual reports as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Advance library usage by assisting users with all available resources
- Assist at the circulation desk as assigned.
- Keep current on youth service trends and attend professional meetings as assigned.
- PA State Criminal Background Check
- PA Child Abuse History Clearance
- FBI Fingerprint Criminal Records Check
To Apply: Interested candidates should submit the following to email@example.com.
- Cover letter
- Three professional references
- Three program proposals for each of the following age groups: Pre-K, Grades K-5, Grades 6-12.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Applicants who are selected for interviews will be asked to demonstrate a Pre-K story-time. No phone inquiries.