The Library Assistant is responsible for assisting with circulation, reference, cataloging, and maintaining administrative records and files and collections. This is a full-time position, 40 hours per week, inclusive of daytime, evening, and weekend hours; excellent benefits package. Salary will commensurate with experience. The Library Assistant works under the supervision of the Library Director.
Benefits include a competitive annual salary, employer-paid healthcare plan, pro-rated sick leave/vacation and paid holidays, and free gym membership. We also offer continuous learning programs. Library assistant’s schedule is typically Tuesday-Saturday daylight, with evenings and
weekends as needed. Employee is subject to a criminal background check, FBI and youth clearance- check prior to employment.
- Assists with checking materials in and out; registering and updating patron accounts; receiving and processing hold requests; collecting and recording fines and fees; sending faxes; and booking room reservations.
- Works with staff to ensure excellent customer service is demonstrated at the circulation
- Provides reference, readers’ advisory, and referral services to patrons, in person and by
- Creates and maintains bibliographic and item records for the Library collection. Collection maintenance.
- Works with staff to process and repair
- Prepares regular statistical
- Processes and maintains memorial and honor book
- Maintains the library’s magazine and newspaper
- Assists patrons in the use of library services, equipment, and
- Young Adult and Adult
- Performs other duties as
Knowledge and Skills
- Familiarity with automated integrated library
- Understands cataloging and classifying library
- Strong computer skills, especially with Microsoft
- Ability to keep records
- Ability to work as part of a
- Ability to interact courteously and effectively with the public and with other
- Excellent people
- Ability to respond in an effective manner to the concerns of library
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree with two years relevant experience working in a public library is preferred.
How to Apply:
Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter (with salary requirements), resume, and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The mission of the Carnegie of Homestead is to provide programs and facilities that enhance learning, wellness and quality of life within and outside the Steel Valley. Unique from other libraries, the Carnegie of Homestead includes a library, athletic club and music hall. The Library offers programming from toddlers through seniors. The Athletic Club includes several fitness-related amenities, including a pool, gymnasium, indoor baseball facility and full-service exercise facility. Currently, there are approximately 1,100 dues paying members. The Music Hall has a seat capacity of 1,000 and attracts audiences from across our region and across our country. Many nationally recognized artists and bands perform at the Music Hall, and over 50-60 concerts are booked annually.
The library serves a combination of 3 communities and is located 5 miles south of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. It operates on an annual budget of $334,000, with an overall organizational budget of