Scott Township Public Library has an immediate opening for a part time Library Assistant-Program Services (15-22 hours per week). The primary responsibility of this position is to work the circulation desk and provide programs to all age groups.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Regular circulation/reference service for patrons of all ages which includes greeting and directing patrons to appropriate resources, reader’s advisory, technology assistance, shelving, checking in and out library material, registering patrons for library cards, opening/closing activities, and a focus on providing quality customer service
- Familiarity with literature, resources, and technology; participate in continuing education and professional development opportunities
- Initiate, plan, and conduct programs for all ages (on-going and one-time events)
- Liaison to community organizations to build and maintain relationships, as well as create awareness of library programs and resources
- Supervise volunteers-may require training and scheduling
- Maintain library appearance; this includes decorating, creating displays, creation of flyers and brochures (print and digital format), shelf-reading and shifting collections, light dusting, and movement of chairs and furniture
- Process new library materials
- Implement, attend, and assist with library fundraising initiatives, grant writing, and special events
- Familiarity with library policy and procedure
- Willingness to take initiative and perform other related duties as required
- Bachelor’s degree; MLIS and public library experience preferred
- Ability to work with the public, independently, and as part of a team with a pleasant and professional approach; strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- Program planning experience, proven organizational and time management skills, ability to perform multiple tasks with frequent interruptions, manage budget lines, and self-impose deadlines
- Attendance and ability to travel for outreach, meetings, and training/workshops
- Strong computer and other related technology skills, including Sierra Circulation, MS Office, WordPress, social media, and eLibrary
- Physical ability to bend, reach, lift (50+ lbs.), push/pull (100+lbs.), and stand for periods of time; the position may require frequent walking, sitting, stooping, crouching, and kneeling; the position requires regular communication with staff and public
- Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance, Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check, and FBI fingerprint based background check are required upon offer of employment
- Regular shifts are: Tuesday 3-8pm, Wednesday 3-8pm, Thursday 3-8pm and Saturday 10-5 (1 or 2 Saturdays a month). *Other shifts may become available that you may be asked to cover. Library Assistant must be able to work a flexible schedule that includes daytime, evening and Saturday hours.
- Compensation based on experience (starting at $10.25 per hour)
Please email letter of interest, resume, and references to:
Gina Leone, Director – Scott Township Public Library – email@example.com
Scott Township Public Library provides equal employment opportunities and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, age, disability status, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, genetic information, political affiliation or any other protected characteristic in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.