Oakmont Carnegie Library is a medium sized library that serves both Oakmont and Verona. We are located in a 1901 original Carnegie building and work in cooperation with the Riverview School District. The population we serve is around 9,000 and we sit 4 blocks from the Oakmont Bakery and near Oakmont’s business district.
Library Assistant – Youth Services
The Oakmont Carnegie Library is looking for a dynamic person to join our Library Team. This is a customer service-focused role working within the Youth Services Department and Public Service desk. We are looking for self-starter with a general understanding of public libraries, who has a willingness to work with people of all ages and backgrounds and a desire to learn. It is essential for the candidate to have a general knowledge of children’s literature and experience working with children. Our goal at OCL is to ensure a positive customer experience for all library users. The position is part-time and works under the supervision of the Assistant Library Director- Youth Services Librarian.
The regular duties for this position are: (other duties may be assigned as needed)
- Implement programming for children & teens, ages 0-18
- Assist with outreach programming
- Perform circulation desk functions
- Assist with collection maintenance
- Attend relevant library meetings
- General customer service including circulation desk, technical help and reference services to patrons
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office and general technology applications
- Participate in Continuing Education classes
- High school or Bachelor’s degree in education, liberal arts and/or field related to children, youth.
- Experience of 2-3 years working in a public or school library as librarian or library assistant/teacher assistant
- Valid PA driver’s license
- Ability to function independently with minimal supervision
- PA Child Abuse History Clearances, PA Criminal Record Check & FBI fingerprint-based background check
- Excellent communication skills
Wednesday 9-4 – Thursday 9-4 – Saturdays on rotation and meetings as needed (The library is closed Sundays)
Approximately 14-21 hours per week, $15.00 per hour.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Beth Mellor, Oakmont Carnegie Library – 700 Allegheny River Boulevard, Oakmont, PA 15139. No phone calls. Applications will be accepted until 10/31