Position Overview: The Andrew Carnegie Free Library (ACFL) Library Director oversees the administration and ongoing operations of the Library. S/he carries out the policies of the Board of Trustees – its procedures and strategic plan, and provides the leadership to ensure quality services and programming to advance the overall organization’s mission.
The Andrew Carnegie Free Library & Music Hall (ACFL&MH) is 35,000 sq. ft. historic landmark facility. In addition to housing a beloved community Library, the “Carnegie Carnegie” is home to an acoustically superb Music Hall, a national treasure of a rare Civil War room and large multi-purpose programming spaces. Developing synergy across ACFL&MH program centers is both a priority and an opportunity.
The Library holds a special place in its community’s heart. Building on that to meet the changing needs the changing community is expected.
This is a full time position that reports to the Executive Director of the Andrew Carnegie Free Library & Music Hall. For the right candidate, flex-time will be considered. The Library Director must foster a culture of best public library practices. Responsibilities include:
- Ensures that the Library is appropriately staffed to carry out the core services and programming to meet the needs of the diverse community the ACFL
- Supervise the best use of ACFL&MH resources – staff, volunteers, time, space and
- Oversees collection development, cataloguing and classification of informational items. S/he supervises total collection inventory and weeding to maintain appropriate and relevant materials.
- Remains current with professional best practices, participating in Allegheny County Library Association (ACLA), Librarians Advisory Council (LAC) and West Region initiatives as appropriate. Informs ACFL&MH Board and staff of these initiatives as is practicable. Ensures that state library standards are
- Ensures monthly, quarterly and yearly reports are completed in a timely manner and that the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania State Library report is submitted by March
- Works with ACFL staff, volunteers, schools, community groups, other libraries, etc. to develop and implement special programming for children and adults to ensure the ACFL’s vibrancy and value to the community it
- Works with ACFL&MH Executive Director to ensure adequate funding/promotion for special programming.
The Espy Post is part of the Library cost center; books and manuscripts are part of Library collection.
- Works with Espy Post Curator to develop the ACFL’s Civil War collection
- Works with Espy Post Curator to coordinate Civil War
- Works with the Treasurer, Executive Director and other staff as appropriate to develop the ACFL&MH’s annual operating
- Manages Library’s revenue and expense to comply with ACFL&MH
- Hires all Library staff, ensuring that they have appropriate experience/skills and ongoing training as appropriate.
- Conducts annual performance
- Counsels Library staff, as appropriate, to assume more responsibility; disciplines and/or terminates Library staff as
- Strengthens the Library’s volunteer program and explores opportunities for
- Works with staff to advance the ACFL&MH’s mission and carry out directives of the Library & Music Hall’s Strategic
- Sees that Library operations and best practices are documented and institutionalized, minimizing the challenges of changes in
- Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited university. Minimum of three years progressively responsible
- Commitment to the mission of the ACFL&MH and to the community it
- Demonstrated leadership
- Excellent oral and written communications skills; strong interpersonal
Salary Commensurate with experience. Please forward your cover letter and résumé to Maggie Forbes, email@example.com. No phone calls please.