The Evans City Public Library Board of Directors is seeking a forward thinking, community- oriented leader who possesses strong organizational and project management skills and has a current knowledge of the principles and practices of professional library management.
The Library is located in the heart of Evans City PA, a small borough in southern Butler County. The Library building is attractive and owned by the Library and is a Community Center also housing the Borough Office, the Police Department, the Historical Society and a Community Room that is available for rental by the community. The Library has a large collection of books, movies, computers for public use and other community based resources and serves a population of 4758. The Library is a member of the Butler County Federated Library System.
The Library Director position is a 40 hour/week salaried position and the salary is based on qualifications and experience. Weekend and evening hours are required. Paid vacation, sick leave and personnel days are provided.
Summary of the Library Director Position
The Library Director is responsible for the administration of all library functions within the goals and policies established by the Library Board of Directors.
Duties will include but are not limited to the following:
- Manage the day- to- day operations of all library functions including financial functions; training, supervising and scheduling staff and volunteers; developing staff job descriptions; recommending and administering personnel policies and developing staff policies with the approval of the Board and hiring, evaluating, promoting and terminating staff in consultation with the Board.
- Oversee the development and promotion of library services and innovative programs and events for children, teens and adults. Evaluate the effectiveness of library services and programs in accordance with the changing needs of the communities served.
- Answer, in a timely manner, inquiries and/or complaints from patrons, public, staff and others.
- Serve as the face of the library and the liaison with community leaders and groups.
- Prepare an annual budget in consultation with the Board. Apply for and administer grants to supplement the annual budget and assist with fundraising activities in collaboration with the Board and volunteers of the library.
- Maintain complete and accurate records and prepare and submit all library reports for the Board, the System and the State on time.
- Manage the library’s collection of print, audio-visual and digital items including selection, display and inventory; provide reference services and oversee interlibrary loans and services.
- Attend Board and Financial committee meeting and provide the members with written required reports at least one week prior to the meeting.
- Attend meeting as required by the Butler Country Federation of Libraries and other meeting such as Evans City area club and group meetings.
- Schedule and supervise the maintenance of the Library building.
- Stay active professionally by attending educational workshops and local, state and national conferences. (Continuing Education Credits are required annually).
- Duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Communicate effectively in written and oral methods.
- Apply strategic planning and other techniques to determine service needs and evaluate performance
- Interact effectively with the Board, elected officials, community leaders, staff and the public.
- Prepare reports for a variety of audiences.
- Define and solve problems effectively; consulting with the Board as needed.
- Demonstrate self-control, good judgement and flexibility in adapting to varying situations and/or stressful situations.
- Have knowledge of computers, the Internet, social media applications library system software, Microsoft Office, Word, Excel and similar software programs.
- Ability to use digital marketing techniques.
- Demonstrate strong time management skills.
- Preferred: Professional Librarian Certification; a Master’s degree in Library Science with two or more years of experience as a Library Director.
- Will consider: A Bachelor’s degree in Library Science..
- Required: All library positions require: Report of criminal history from the State Police; Child Abuse History Clearance from the Department of Human Services and fingerprint ID based on federal criminal history submitted through the PA State Police or the FBI. A valid PA Driver’s License is also required.
- Recommended: Member of American Library Association (ALA) and PA Library Association (PaLA).
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please email a resume, cover letter and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject Library Director Application. The Evans City Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.