“Treasuring the Past, Shaping the Future”
The Plum Borough Community Library is an independent public located in the eastern part of Allegheny County serving its nearly 28,000 residents and is currently seeking candidates to fill the position of Library Director to manage the staffing, financial and operational aspects of the library. The library is a PA Forward Gold Level Library, a member of the Allegheny County Library Association, and receives support and Internet access through a shared countywide network (eiNetwork). Usual hours of operation of the library are Monday through Saturday for a total of 54 hours per week covered by a staff of 9-12 employees.
The ideal candidate will
- Be a creative & innovative individual who will mentor and motivate staff and volunteers. The candidate should be able to assess the needs of the library and implement flexibility to respond to the needs of the surrounding community.
- Become our community liaison by working cooperatively with the borough, school district, auxiliary groups, and other community organizations. The candidate should be an effective communicator in all aspects – oral, written, as well as through technology including social media platforms. Grant writing and community engagement experience is a plus.
- Possess a firm knowledge of current trends in library science and will be a forward-thinking individual who will continue to adapt as needs and wants evolve. The candidate will consider new challenges to advance our adult, youth and children’s programming.
- Be knowledgeable in operational practices to handle a $300,000 annual budget, maintain the ability to think analytically and creatively, and able to apply the Core Competencies of Librarianship including organization, reference, research, continuing education and lifelong learning, and administration and management.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Reports directly to the Board of Trustees
The Library Director reports to the Board of Trustees and is responsible for all management and administrative duties relevant to library operations; organize data for local, county, and state reports and prepares monthly and annual statistics to be submitted to the Board of Trustees; recommends candidates for hire and oversees library staff duties with effective goal setting and annual performance evaluations, and maintains personnel records; develops, evaluates, and recommends updates in policies, procedures, and programs; directs the maintenance of the library facility and grounds; attends Board of Trustee meetings, Plum Borough Council meetings, professional and library-related meetings and workshops to keep current with new developments in local and national Library Science practices.
- MLS from ALA accredited school
- Prefer 5 years of library experience with minimum of 2 years in a supervisory role
- Provide PA Child (33), PA Crime (34), and FBI (114) fingerprinting less than five years old and PA Act 31 Mandated Report Training
- Salary – competitive salary commensurate with experience; salary and health benefits negotiable
- Paid vacation, sick leave, (8) paid holidays, eligible to participate in health insurance program
445 Center-New Texas Road, Pittsburgh PA 15239
See website for full job description. plumlibrary.org
Interested candidates should submit to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cover letter including salary requirements
- Three professional references