Clarion Free Library (CFL)/Clarion County Library System (CCLS) is accepting applications for the position of Library Director/System Administrator. The Library Boards are seeking a candidate with forward-thinking vision and a community involvement ethos.
This is a full-time professional position of a complex, administrative nature. The Library Director/System Administrator supervises and coordinates the work of all library personnel, students and volunteers at the CFL. This position also includes coordination of library services within the CCLS which has five member libraries.
The Library Director/System Administrator is an at-will employee carrying out broad policy as determined by the CFL Board of Trustees and the CCLS Board of Trustees.
General supervision is administered by the CFL Board of Trustees and the CCLS Board of Trustees. Duties are performed with a high degree of independent judgment and initiative.
This position includes general supervision of all aspects of day to day library management at CFL including but not limited to: personnel, finances and budgeting, technology, facilities management, programming, board meetings, public relations, fundraising, and grant writing. This position is also responsible for system-wide strategic planning, meeting system-wide standards and coordinating activities and services throughout the County.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
· Acts as technical advisor to the CFL Board of Trustees and the CCLS Board of Trustees and attends all board meetings providing a written report to the trustees. Additional meetings include board meetings of member libraries (at least one per year), District meetings (at least one per year), and annual State System meetings (twice per year or as schedule permits).
· Plans and leads County librarian’s meetings or trainings (at least six per year).
· Advises system libraries in their development plans to meet the information needs of their communities and the County as a whole. Supervises the establishment of policies of member libraries, but not the day-to-day management except for CFL.
· Interacts with public officials, community leaders, civic organizations and other libraries.
· Spearheads efforts in public relations with newspapers, online media, social media, and radio.
· Participates in professional associations where appropriate.
· Attendance is strongly encouraged at the annual PALA Conference.
· Twelve hours of library-related continuing education per year is required.
· Acts as liaison with Commonwealth Libraries.
· Any one position may not include all of the duties listed nor do the listed examples include all of the tasks which may be required of this position as assigned by either board.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices and procedures of library science and administration, including fiscal management, physical plant management and the management of library technology.
· Knowledge of library trends and problems faced by rural public libraries.
· Ability to analyze and act upon professional and administrative problems, as well as problems associated with personnel and financial matters.
Personal Characteristics: Must exhibit qualities of responsibility, independence, and initiative as well as being courteous, pleasant and helpful in dealing with patrons and staff.
Education and Experience: Position requires a Master’s Degree in Library Science (or equivalent) from an ALA accredited library school. Minimum two years professional experience required with two to five years preferred, including demonstrated leadership capabilities. Proficient in current library technologies.
Additional Requirements: Valid Pennsylvania driver’s license or the ability to obtain one prior to starting work. Position requires occasional evening and weekend responsibilities. Position requires criminal, child abuse & fingerprinting background checks. Ability to operate a keyboard and to communicate clearly and effectively using a standard telephone is required. Must be able to: kneel, bend at the waist, reach overhead, stoop, stand and/or sit for prolonged periods; balance on a stepstool; and lift, move, and handle up to 25 lbs.
Salary and Benefits: Salary range is $45,000 – $47,000 with a health insurance stipend. Paid vacation, sick, personal and holidays as determined by the CFL Board of Trustees.
Application Process: Submit (via email) a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of at least three professional references to: email@example.com
Applications will be reviewed starting February 10, 2023.