Job Summary: The Catalog Librarian is responsible for cataloging library materials and ensuring the accuracy and accessibility of the shared catalog of the Allegheny County Library Association (ACLA). Working under the supervision of the Library Services Supervisor of Cataloging the Catalog Librarian will perform resource description and classification processes for all material types, including both original and copy cataloging, authority control, and maintenance of records in the library’s catalog.
Work Hours: 37.5 hours per week; Monday-Friday, 8am-4pm.
Compensation: $22.95 per hour
Hiring Supervisor: Natalie Emiliani- Library Services Supervisor – Catalog
Unit: This position is represented by the United Steelworkers union.
Education and Physical Requirements:
- MLIS from an ALA-accredited university
- 3 or more years of cataloging experience
Competencies and Qualifications:
- Knowledge of a standard library automations system; knowledge of Sierra and OCLC Connexion preferred;
- Library cataloging experience using RDA, LCSH, AACR2 and MARC21 format;
- Experience cataloging serials according to CONSER standards preferred;
- Experience contributing authority records to NACO preferred;
- Ability to read music and experience cataloging music resources preferred;
- Reading knowledge of one or more foreign language and/or experience cataloging foreign language material preferred.
- Ability to analyze, prepare and monitor statistical data;
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a team;
- Ability to work across organizational boundaries to affect a productive and collegial work environment;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Strong customer service focus;
- Experience with Microsoft Office, especially Excel, Word, Outlook and Teams;
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Maintain and apply knowledge of current cataloging, description, and emerging metadata rules and standards in cataloging and classifying library materials. (Standards include but are not limited to: AACR2, RDA, and Library of Congress subject headings and classification.)
- Creates, monitors, reviews, and updates bibliographic and serial records input into OCLC and Sierra databases;
- Reviews for duplicate records and cataloging errors, correcting and merging records when necessary;
- Creates and contributes authority records to the Library of Congress’ NACO Authority File
- Perform authority and other database cleanup work
- Develop and maintain constructive and cooperative working relationships with CLP copy-catalogers and district cataloging staff
- Provide customer service to CLP and district library staff in understanding how cataloging metadata is used, displayed, and searched in the catalog’s public-facing discovery layer
- PA Criminal Record Check, PA Child Abuse History Clearance, FBI Fingerprint Criminal Records Check and Mandated Reporter Training required upon offer of employment.
Interested in Applying? Submit a resume and cover letter at https://cssclp.sentrichr.com/?requisition=442 by September 6, 2022.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, age, disability status, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, genetic information, political affiliation or any other protected characteristic in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.