Employee Classification: Non-Exempt
Reports to: Adult Library Manager
Wage Rate: $15.00/hour; PT 20 hours/week with some evenings and Saturdays
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintains and promotes a positive working relationship with staff and public in both Adult and Children’s Services
- Understands and adheres to Braddock Carnegie Library Association (BCLA) procedures and policies
- Works with the computer system and understands various functions of the following:
- Sierra – circulation module
- Microsoft Office Suite (Windows 10)
- Google Suite
- Handles circulation desk functions, unusual requests and returns (including new library cards, check in and check out of all library items)
- Processes fees and other payments according to library procedure
- Assists patrons with printing, faxing, scanning and copying needs
- Assists patrons with computer related questions and requests
- Answers phone calls from patrons and fields given requests and messages
- Manages periodicals and newspapers
- Processes holds and renewal requests
- Pulls and processes paging list and inter library loan items
- Teaches use of library catalog to patrons as required
- Mends and binds materials as needed
- Shelf reads the collection regularly and records progress
- Reshelves materials as needed
- Attends meetings and continuing education programs, for the BCLA, ACLA and community partners, as required
- Responds to emails and other communications in a timely manner
- Supports, develops, promotes and participates in the delivery of public programs and services
- Follows and updates their work plan as assigned
Individual must be able to perform all essential duties described above and must meet the following requirements:
Education and/or Experience:
- Minimum Level: High school, some secondary schooling preferred
- Experience: Library or Customer Service experience is appreciated
- Effectively communicate (orally and written) with all public and staff. Ability to identify and communicate any issues affecting the Braddock Carnegie Library Association (BCLA).
- Understands the mission of the BCLA and has the ability to define problems, establish facts, exhibit unbiased judgment and initiative in the development, implementation, and evaluation of goals, policies and procedures, and programs for the BCLA.
- Exhibits dependability on the job with respect to being conscientious, thorough, and reliable in achieving the BCLA’s goals and the needs of the organization; this includes being available and responsive to issues and concerns as they develop.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk, sit and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, equipment, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
- BCLA functions and program spaces are on one level accessible by ramp.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment varies from quiet to very noisy.
Interested in Applying?
To apply, please submit cover letter and resume by email to: Rachel Brehm, Library Director at email@example.com