Regular, Part-Time Non-Exempt
Hours per Week: 18-20, including some evening and weekend hours
Pay Range: $9.24 – $17.19 per hour, commensurate with experience
Benefits: Paid Time Off; Retirement Plan
The mission of Cooper-Siegel Community Library is to cultivate a community of lifelong learners. The Library provides a high-quality collection of books, media, and subscriptions as well as engaging programs and friendly customer service to serve the educational, cultural, professional and recreational needs and interests of our patrons. The Patron Services Assistant role is critical to achieving this mission.
The Patron Services Assistant is responsible and accountable for the following duties:
- Welcome and assist library visitors at various public service desks
- Create and renew library cards for patrons
- Assist patrons with checking out, returning and renewing items
- Conduct monetary transactions for fees and purchases
- Help patrons request items from other libraries; help with catalog searches and locating items
- Process returned items, scan and re-shelve in hold area
- Locate and pull items requested by other libraries
- Process items received from other libraries; scan and place on hold shelf for pickup
- Register patrons for library programs
- Provide reference, referral and reader advisory services to patrons
- Assist with library collections as required
- Identify and work to improve issues with processes that affect patron satisfaction or library efficiency
- Complete special projects as required by the organization
- Maintain a safe, clean, and cost-efficient environment that meets the needs of the staff and patrons
- Monitor public usage of the library
Required Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or equivalent; some college preferred
- Prior customer service experience, preferably in a busy office type setting
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- General knowledge of literature and library practices
- Knowledge of current events
- Basic internet and computer skills
- Superb people skills
- Ability to make decisions and keep accurate records
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Willingness to be helpful and pursue questions and problems
- Ability to provide a clean PA Criminal Background Check, PA Child Abuse Clearance and FBI Fingerprinting Clearance prior to start date
Required Behavioral Competencies
- Focused on customers
- Integrity and trustworthiness
- Patient with people and processes
- Good decision-maker
- Copes effectively with ambiguity and change
- Problem solver
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- This position requires frequently walking, sitting, bending, stooping, crouching, kneeling or crawling, standing for long periods, and using hand or fingers to manipulate touch or handle.
- Frequently will need to lift or push up to 15 pounds, periodically up to 30 pounds, and rarely up to 65 pounds.
- The work environment noise level is typical of a moderately noisy standard business office with equipment running, outdoors in normal urban setting.
Tools and Equipment
- Hand held scanner
- Merchant services software
- Cash register
Additional Comments or working conditions not listed above.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Cooper-Siegel Community Library 10/8/2021
The responsibilities outlined above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Applications for this position will be accepted through October 20th. Please submit a cover letter, resume and three professional references to Suzanne Cawley, Patron Services Department Head, at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.