The Monroeville Public Library has a vibrant, active children’s room. Join us to help meet the needs of our community through high quality programming, services, and materials. Excellent customer services is a must – and enjoyment of and ability to work with kids and families.
This Part-time library assistant position through the Monroeville Public Library Fund is 25-29 hours per week, $15.5 per hour. Paid time off is included after 6 months. In addition to daytime hours, the successful candidate will work 1-2 evenings per week and 1-2 Saturdays per month.
Please apply on Indeed.com or by emailing email@example.com. No phone calls or personal visits, please.
Provides the highest quality customer service to all library patrons and visitors delivered with kindness, attention, and respect. Ensures that library materials are properly accounted for through the check-in/check-out process and by putting materials in their correct places. Under supervision, develops and delivers children’s programs. Shows appreciation towards patrons, enjoys going the extra mile, and embraces an openness to continuous development of customer service skills.
- Interacts regularly with patrons, visitors, and other library staff members primarily to provide and/or receive information. May handle sensitive patron issues including compliance with established library practices, complaints, and/or disruptions. Escalates challenging issues to Librarian as appropriate.
- Working with supervisor, develops and delivers children’s programs to both internal and external audiences. Determines theme and activities and prepares all supporting materials. Coordinates all event details.
- Checks materials in and out of the library.
- Shelves materials in their proper location.
- Pulls materials placed on hold by patrons or other libraries. Checks out these materials and puts on the correct shelf for pick up or in the correct bin for shipment.
- Checks in on-hold materials received from other libraries and puts in appropriate location for patron pick up.
- Answers the phone and handles or directs the call. Checks phone messages and handles the message or routes it to the correct staff member.
- Checks materials to ensure that they are in the appropriate order and that shelves are neat and tidy.
- Refers unusual problems to supervisor.
* Essential functions are those job duties that the position exists to perform, and not all activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the incumbent. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIREMENTS:
- Basic reading, writing, and math skills
- At least two years of experience working with children
- Excellent facilitation skills necessary to create and maintain a safe, open, and respectful environment
- Ability to handle all details necessary for successful event planning
- Ability to effectively communicate with patrons both in-person and by phone
- Ability to interact with a diverse population in a courteous manner, employing tact and diplomacy when dealing with challenging customer situations
- Attention to detail necessary to ensure that materials are properly tracked and shelved
- Ability to work independently and with initiative
- Ability to effectively prioritize tasks
- Ability and willingness to regularly travel to local community sites to deliver programs
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to frequently bend, twist, and stoop
- Ability to lift at least 30 pounds necessary to set up chairs, tables, and other equipment for programs and move boxes of materials
- Visual acuity necessary to read from a computer screen and accurately track materials
- Manual dexterity necessary to handle books, papers, files and type on a keyboard
- Hearing necessary to interact with staff, patrons and other shareholders