Come join our team! Swissvale Library is looking for a tween and teen services specialist with an interest in developing new programs and community partnerships. The Youth Services Librarian will be working closely with the Children’s Librarian to expand Swissvale Library’s programs and services to youth and families. With the new Dickson Preparatory Steam Academy opening just down the street, the Youth Services Librarian will build relationships with the school’s students, families and faculty. This newly created, part-time position is for 34 to 38 hours per week.
Educational Requirement: MLIS or MLS degree or Bachelor’s plus equivalent professional experience.
Certification Requirement: Must be able to get all child clearances.
Physical Requirements: Must be able to stand for 5 hours at a time and lift 30 lbs.
Salary: $15 per hour.
Reports to Library Director.
General Job Description:
The Swissvale Library Youth Services Librarian serves in collaboration and partnership with the Swissvale Library Children’s Librarian. The youth services librarian possesses initiative; demonstrated appreciation, experience, and skill with tweens, teens and their families; and a proficiency for technology.
The Swissvale Library Youth Services Librarian is responsible for all services of the Youth Services department including:
- Planning and presenting all programming for tweens and teens, in-house, outreach and virtual, including spontaneous after-school programs for tweens and teens from Dickson Steam Academy
- Building relationship with Dickson Steam Academy Librarian; presenting programs for students
- Collection development for tween and teen materials, including purchasing and weeding
- Creating and implementing tween and teen Summer Reading.
- Participating in other county-wide youth reading and writing programs
- Assisting tweens, teens and families to find and choose library materials
- Coordinating with Communications Librarian to develop and implement marketing materials for youth services library programs
- Participating in county youth services meetings; conveying any pertinent information to the Swissvale library director
- Providing library service to children and parents in the absence of the Children’s Librarian.
- As part of the library staff team, providing occasional reference, readers advisory, and computer assistance to adult patrons
Apply by email with letter and references to Kate Coluccio, library director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline is May 13th. No phone calls please.
Carnegie Free Library of Swissvale is owned and operated by the Woodland Hills School District. WHDS is an equal opportunity education employer and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age, or handicap in its activities, programs, or employment practices as required by Title VI, Title IX and section 504.