Are you a people person? Are you comfortable working with K-12 students? If so, Hosting Solutions & Library Consulting (HSLC) is looking for you!
HSLC, host of the POWER Library, seeks two (2) independent contractors to provide 15-20 hours per week of Virtual Reference Support for the Chat with a Librarian (CWAL) service. Please see the information below.
The primary responsibility of the Virtual Reference Support contractor is to provide online chat, email, SMS, and other virtual reference services to users of CWAL. The Virtual Reference Support contractor provides prompt, courteous, and supportive virtual reference services to all Chat with a Librarian users seeking information via electronic means. The service is heavily used by K-12 students and candidates should be very comfortable working in a virtual environment with students. The Virtual Reference Support is to be provided primarily between 10AM – 5PM, Monday through Friday, but may be called on upon from 8 AM – 8 PM, Monday through Thursday.
Examples of work include:
- Provision of virtual reference service using professionally accepted best practices to implement the reference interview and follow-up
- Response to follow up tickets from chat, email and SMS messaging using profession-wide and POWER Library specific best practices
- Reporting of software or usage issues to the HSLC Virtual Reference Specialist
- Master’s degree in Library and Information Science or master’s degree in Education, or other comparable degree.
- Alternately, candidates with extensive K-12 classroom experience and a PA teaching license may be considered.
- Resident of Pennsylvania.
- Experience with offering patron/student support and services through nontraditional means, such as chat, email, SMS, etc.
The contractual compensation rate is $25 per hour. Please note that contractors are not employees of HSLC. Contractors will assume all responsibility for equipment, insurance, benefits, taxes, and other payments required by law.
Applications received by 1/25/2021 will be considered first but the positions are open until filled.
Please email your cover letter, resume, and three references to:
Erin Halovanic, Director of Library Services
Hosting Solutions & Library Consulting (HSLC)
3600 Market Street, Suite 550
Philadelphia, PA 19104-2649
V. 215.222.1532 | F. 215.222.0416