The Westmoreland County Federated Library System (WCFLS) is seeking a full-time District Consultant for the Westmoreland District. The consultant provides advisory service to the 23 public libraries in Westmoreland County and will act as liaison between the libraries and Commonwealth Libraries. Duties require participation in regional, state, and national library forums in support of district responsibilities.
The consultant will have knowledge of contemporary library service and issues; familiarity with automated systems and social media; familiarity with current cataloguing standards and practices; and strong written and verbal communication and supervisory skills.
The best candidate will have the desire and ability to learn new things, an interest in using technology to provide new services and solve problems, the ability to build trusting and mutually respectful relationships with library boards, directors, and staff members, and be comfortable with public speaking and sharing their knowledge with a group through in-person and virtual instruction.
The job involves travel throughout the county and occasional travel within the state. The job requires a Master’s degree in Library Science, a minimum of 2 years professional library experience, a valid driver’s license and a vehicle. Experience as a library director is preferred. Compensation includes a salary between $40,000- $45,000 a year and benefits.
Provides advice, assistance, and guidance in all areas of library development to member library directors, boards, and staff. The District Consultant serves as a liaison between WCFLS member libraries and the Office of Commonwealth Libraries
Full time (37.5 hours per week), Exempt
Reports to: Executive Director
Supervises: ILL Clerk/Receptionist
Duties and Responsibilities
- Advise and consult on all areas of library service, including, but not limited to, governance, patron services, grant writing, human resources, and state standards.
- Act as a liaison to the Office of Commonwealth Libraries.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate the district’s Five-Year Plan and District Negotiated Agreement.
- Assist member libraries with required state reports and complete all required reports for the Westmoreland County Federated Library System and Westmoreland District.
- Provide training for library staff and board members based on the needs of member libraries, including on-boarding for new library directors.
- Assist boards and directors with strategic planning and goal setting.
- Attend and actively participate in DLC meetings, District Consultant Summits, and other meetings and groups convened by the Office of Commonwealth Libraries.
- Develop print and digital marketing materials for system-organized programs.
- Manage the Westmoreland Library Network website and Facebook pages.
- Interviews and hires delivery drivers with assistance of Delivery Supervisor
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited university.
- Pennsylvania Professional Librarian Certification, or the ability to receive certification within 90 days of employment.
- At least two years of library experience.
- PA State Criminal Background Check, PA Child Abuse History Clearance, and FBI Fingerprint Criminal Records Check within 90 days of employment.
- Valid PA driver’s license, or ability to receive one within 90 days of employment.
- Ability to travel locally, regionally, and across the state.
- Public library management experience.
- Exhibits personal accountability, initiative, curiosity, and critical thinking.
- Familiarity with Polaris ILS, WordPress, and current cataloging standards and practices.
Email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org before February 15, 2021.