Western Allegheny Community Library is a vibrant and innovative public library that serves the communities of Findlay Township, North Fayette Township and Oakdale Borough. We strive to create an environment that values diversity and is inclusive of everyone. We believe in the importance of literacy and lifelong learning, always holding ourselves to the highest of standards.
Under the supervision of the Youth Services Manager, the Youth Services Programing Specialist works to provide service that supports the developmental needs of children birth through 18 and their parents and caregivers. The Programming Specialist interacts directly with both community organizations and individual readers in and outside of the library.
The successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to maintain open and fluid communication with internal and external stakeholders. They will have a passion for community engagement and be able to articulate the value of partnering with families to support the developmental needs of children.
Work Hours: 35 hours per week; days and evenings, with the occasional weekend required.
Compensation: $17.50 per hour with health, vision, and dental benefits, paid vacation, and paid sick leave.
Hiring Supervisor: Becky Proie, Youth Services manager
Educational and Physical Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood, Library Science, or related field.
- Extensive computer experience with standard office software, including Microsoft Office products, email and internet usage.
- Valid driver’s license and proof of safe driving history.
Skills, Knowledge, Abilities, and Experiences:
- Previous experience working with children.
- Outgoing, dynamic, and highly organized individual with a passion for working with children and families and building community relationships.
- Possess strong leadership skills; has the ability to work independently and as part of a team and exercise professional judgement in non-routine situations.
- Previous experience planning and implementing developmentally appropriate programs for children ages birth though 18 preferred.
- Commitment to excellent customer service; ability to communicate effectively, patiently and courteously with co-workers, the Library Board of Trustees, patrons, and other community members.
- Demonstrates flexibility when asked to help cover necessary shift changes.
- Ability to multitask.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Planning, creating, and implementing fun, engaging, and innovative programming for youth (ages birth through18).
- Working to develop rapport with library patrons and helping to fulfill their informational and recreational needs by providing quality reference and reader’s advisory using print and electronic resources.
- Presenting Western Allegheny Community Library and its services in a positive manner and adhere to customer service guidelines and procedures, as established by the Library.
- Visiting preschools and daycares with the Book Bus, on a monthly basis, to provide engaging storytimes and access to books.
- Assisting in representing the library at community events and outreach activities.
- Establishing and maintaining valuable relationships with community partners.
- Providing meaningful experience for teen volunteers.
- PA State Criminal Background Check, PA Child Abuse History Clearance, and FBI Fingerprint Criminal Records Check upon offer of employment.
Working with Us: Our library offers a unique work environment that is innovative, open and collaborative. We strive to create the best possible experience for everyone visiting the library as well as our employees. We are a family-friendly workplace that prioritizes a good work-life balance. We offer paid time off as well as paid holidays.
Western Allegheny Community Library is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
To Apply: By July 29, 2022, please email cover letter, resume, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org