Starting Pay Rate: $40,000 – $45,000 per year
Status: Full-time, non-exempt
Hours per Week: 37.5, some remote permitted
Benefits: Health, Vision and Dental Insurance, Paid Time Off, Retirement Plan
The mission of Cooper-Siegel Community Library is to cultivate a community of lifelong learners. The Library is a member of the Allegheny County Library Association and serves nearly 30,000 residents in the Fox Chapel Area School District communities of Aspinwall, Blawnox, Fox Chapel, Indiana Township, O’Hara Township and Sharpsburg.
The goal of the Development Manager position is to build key relationships that attract and maintain a strong donor base that supports the library’s operations and capital projects. The Development Manager reports to the Executive Director and is responsible for the overall management of donor relations and fundraising activities.
- With the Executive Director, develop and execute a detailed and comprehensive development plan that includes monetary and program goals, effective fundraisers, strategies and required activities. Focus on making effective donor relations and stewardship an organizational priority. Develop and monitor a fundraising budget to support these efforts.
- Work with the Development Committee and the Executive Director to actively engage all board members in the fundraising process, including personal annual financial contributions.
- Help identify and recruit volunteers for necessary leadership roles and committees.
- Lead a comprehensive annual giving program to secure support from a balanced mix of donor sources and solicitation programs designed to attract, retain and motivate donors including, but not limited to, multi-channel annual appeals, acquisition, recurring/monthly giving, matching gifts, memorial and gift books donations, and giving days. Incorporate specific steps for identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of all levels of donors.
- Utilize special events as part of the comprehensive fundraising and communications plan as an opportunity to build relationships with donors (individuals and corporations), raise funds and build awareness in the local community. Solicit event sponsors and in-kind contributions. Organize all annual fundraising endeavors; develop detailed plans with timelines identifying the persons responsible for each step.
- Work with the Marketing Coordinator in creating solicitation materials and communications for print, website and social media platforms.
- Work with external vendors to coordinate fundraising appeals and special projects.
- Assist the Executive Director with identifying prospective government and foundation funding opportunities, plan strategy for building relationships and provide grant writing and reporting for library operations, programs and capital projects. Track in database.
- Work with the Board of Directors and Executive Director to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward major donors and prospects, including foundation, government, corporate and individual donor contacts.
- Research current and potential prospects. Create donor profiles as needed. Act as liaison between individual donors and the library.
- Create and monitor a donor segmentation strategy to ensure effectiveness.
- Complete timely data entry including tracking donations, creating new profiles, updating constituent information, tracking moves management metrics and monitoring for data entry completeness and consistency. Create and maintain database policies and procedures.
- Generate donor database reports as assigned.
- Manage the gift acknowledgement process to ensure timely and accurate acknowledgement of all donations. Work with the Office Coordinator to ensure proper gift coding, allocation and monthly financial reconciliation.
- Attend mandatory monthly staff meetings.
- Attend meetings, workshops and training sessions consistent with the position.
- Represent the library at community events.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
- At least two years’ directly related experience in development for non-profit organizations.
- A proven track record of fundraising success, successfully managing campaigns and engaging a board of directors in fundraising activities.
- Experience with donor management databases, DonorPerfect preferred.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Working knowledge of development best practices, trends in development and fundraising tools and technology, e-mail and online campaigns and donor research is required.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational and project management skills, with strong attention to detail and the ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Advanced skills in database management.
- Proficiency with email and social media platforms.
- Ability to work and interact easily with a diverse workforce and community.
- Ability to provide clean PA Criminal, PA Child Abuse and FBI Clearances prior to date of hire.
Required Behavioral Competencies
- Figures out processes necessary to get things done.
- Pushes self and others for effective results.
- Works hard to address challenges and seize opportunities.
- Cooperates with other staff, promotes teamwork, shares information and resolves conflict.
- Exhibits enthusiasm for the library’s programs and services.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- Frequently sitting or periodically standing for long periods of time.
- Using hands and fingers to manipulate, handle or touch.
Tools and Equipment commonly used to perform this job includes
Additional Comments or working conditions not listed above:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are
representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The responsibilities outlined above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of
work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not
exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the
position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the
employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the
employer and requirements of the job change.
Interested in applying? To apply for this position, send a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references to Jill McConnell, Executive Director, at email@example.com by 5:00 p.m. on March 31st. No phone calls, please.